Wednesday 6 October 2010

Check out this interview we did with Oneman about his new label 502 Recordings!


Get Low favourite Oneman has started his own record label 502 Recordings, and kicked things off with the incendiary club banger "Night Hunter" by Fis-T.



 A wobbly funky-dubsteppy number, this was actually the tune we raved about when we saw Scratcha, Ben UFO, Skream and Joy Orbison at FWD way back in April.

Get Low managed to grab a few minutes with Oneman to chat about how the label came about and its plans for the future...



GET LOW: Why did you decide to start up your own record label?

ONEMAN: I've wanted to start a label for a while now, ever since this new hybrid garage/house/dubstep sound came around early 2009.  I think starting a label is always a case of finding your first release and then go from there.  I played 'Night Hunter' the day I got it at this Red Bull party in Brixton, and it destroyed the place.  I knew from then that I wanted to release the record, it deserves a vinyl release!

GL: What kind of sound are you hoping to develop with 502?  Is 'Night Hunter' a taste of things to come in terms of musical direction?

O: I'm just going to go with it and release what I like really.  At the moment I'm focussing on this new hybrid sound like I say, between 125-135 bpm usually, spacey broken beats and bass.  The second release will be a track called 'Prism' by a new producer from Lyon called Jay Weed.




GL: Tell us a little about Fis-T.  What's his background and where did you come across his work?

O: As far as I know, Fis-T comes from a grime background, and has injected that style into his new broken house-style productions.  He's a young lad from North London and has a very bright future ahead of him.  I came across 'Night Hunter' from browsing the UK Funky charts on iTunes where it had been released by Fis-T himself.  I'm sure you will see more releases from Fis-T on 502 Recordings.


GL: It's great to see effort going into expensive vinyl artwork production, and the first 502 record features a distinctive design.  Who made it?

O: All 502 releases will be released on 180g quality vinyl with a 2 week delay on digital release.  The artwork was a collaborative effort between myself and the designer called Charlotte Knowles.  I think it's really important to have a full package that you can take to the shops to sell.


GL: And finally, are we going to see any of your own productions coming out on this label?  Many artists have maximised on exposure by releasing their own productions on their own label, like Joker did with Kapsize to fantastic effect.

O: It's a possibility.  Not saying too much yet though...

/////////////////

Check out Oneman's Blog too.  It's killer.

No comments: